Friday, March 20, 2009

Sports and me

As I walk by the tennis court I realise how much I miss playing. As I sit by the pool and watch my sis swim I realise how fond of sports I am. It’s not just a game. Well not to me.

From when I was little I have always been exposed to playing. Guess it runs in my blood, thanks to daddy dearest. It refreshes and relieves you at the same time. It’s actually addictive. It wasn’t ever just a sport for me. It went on to shape and define me. I really do feel strongly about this. But I guess I'm just talking about sports fans(all kinds of them.. the ones that play, the ones that HAVE to watch and the ones that love watching).

Now if you take cricket for instance (it comes first to my mind thanks to the nearing IPL). I for one enjoy ODIs and Tests better. Weird but true. I just feel it shows the charm of the sportsman’s game. You know like his ability to bring stability to the team, his quality batting to gather runs and his style on the field. Where as T20 is a more commercial form of cricket. It has its own charm. Just not the one I like or am looking for in a game.

I have played quite a few sports at some time or the other in my life. Somehow they all give me very different feelings. On the volleyball court I feel a sense of belonging. On the baseball field I have a strong rush to perform. Where as on the basketball court I just feel out of place and lost.

I think the game you choose to play, follow or watch occasionally has something to do with your personality. The two major games in my life (volleyball and baseball) have played some roles in shaping me. I know not everyone reading this will agree with me. But trust me, the ones who fall under the category of sports lovers will totally agree.

I miss playing because it wasn’t ever just about the game. It is a very special bond. It gives me the urge to perform, it pushes me to bring out the best, it gives me company, it picks me up when I’m down and most importantly it brings me joy. Call me crazy but it has become a vital part of my sanity. I can give it up from time to time but I always find a way to get back to it. Guess its something I can't live without.

12 comments:

D!! said...

hmmm...i guess im one of those who wont relate to this post but writing i know n i loved this one.. straight from the heart!!..keep writing...!!

Chris Isaac said...

^^^..yea...was real...! its inspiring wen ppl speak out bout their likes...and dislikes! and this one totally ws...

Parth Jhala said...

nicely written!!
what you are trying to say has come out really well! and i agree!sport tests,nurtures and shows up your character.. cause there is no where to hide in the middle of a field/court! it teaches you life's lessons everyday..as it is nothing but its reflection! and its extremely therapeutic! i guess it can be understood only by people who play any sport! so keep playing!

kapil said...

nice!! very simple nd honest! :) i really liked what uve written bout nd how uve written it! shows how passionate you are bout sports...thts wat i like best bout this post! :)

Srinidhi said...

@ D- thanks babe! I enjoyed writing it! ummaaah!

@ Chris- thanks dude! :D really!!

@ Paarth- guess i knew you would be the first to agree! :) your right! and you say it exactly like i think of it! :) thank you! :D

@ Kapil- thanks baldev! :D

shuuuu said...

:)...... i have seen u play and u look so happy when u do ... and u r giftedddd on the field ... muaaah really sweet posttt ..... :)..

Srinidhi said...

thanks shu!!! you are right but! i love playing! :* ummmaaahhh!

sofullofcrap said...

Ok now I'm gonna be honest ... I can never relate to such stuff ... Btw liked the part where u said those who play, those who have to watch and those who love watching ... Kinda feel sorry for benchwarmers ... Hmmm maybe sport is to you what a good trip is for me...

Teju :):) said...

v hav so much in common!! dont u agree?? :P:P i love sports toooo!!!! :):) nice post ...keep writing!:)

Sneha said...

I for one have always seen you in sports clothes. Either going to play a baseball match or coming from a volleyball one! :)
And I didn't even know hyd had baseball and I was pretty damn impressed.
What I love about you sisters is that each of you are individuals with little overlapping interests, but for the mutual love and admiration.
Sports defines you babe! And that explains where all that you eat goes!! :D

Mood Swings!! said...

Totally agree babe.. for me its the Euphoria of doing something Physical... i find it so satisfying... it could be cycling or trekking or swimming or breaking rocks... The mental peace you get when you have exerted yourself physically is amazing..

Srinidhi said...

@anoop thanks re! :)

@ teju!! we are sooo similar! :D thanks re! :D

@ sneha! how kind are you!! :) maybe thats where it goes! :p

@mishi! you are so right!! :D :D :D the rush is amazing! :) ummaaah!