As usual I wait for a bus at Patny by 9:30 every morning. My bus journeys have been drastically reduced from almost 40 minutes to not even 10 minutes. I love traveling by the bus. It is usually the highlight of my good friend and often visitor - The bad day. I must be one of those very few who it turns the day around for. But think about it, you avoid all traffic, you don’t get as frustrated as you would and you get to see so much.
For three years, APSRTC and I have become good friends. I appreciate her existence each day (anything non living automatically becomes a she in my life) as she saves me a lot of money and a hell lot of unnecessary grrr (translate to a tiny cubs growl). In all this traveling I have had a million lovely and some I-wish-to-not-ruin-this-post-with experiences. But even in my worst mood I still enjoy a long bus journey. It calms me down, picks me up and keeps me smiling all so effortlessly. Here’s why:
• Blush: I always bump into some woman/man who will be on the phone and blushing. God bless cheap schemes.
• Men: Some rare times I find a sweet chivalrous man who will offer us his ‘men’s’ seat. I usually refuse. But the gesture restores my faith in nice men.
• Drivers: The sweet, kind and extra defensive drivers who lose their mind if a man boards from the front. The care for their lady passengers is overwhelming.
• Conductors: Ones that smile at you while giving you your ticket. And nudge you to tell you there’s an empty seat at the back.
• Co-passengers: A seated co-passenger who sees you are carrying a oh-so-heavy bag and offers to hold it to reduce your load while standing.
• Book reader: A girl so lost in her book that it just makes you smile. It reminds you of life’s little joys
• Friends: A couple of guys and girls laughing hysterically. Their laughter is energizing and makes you smile and even laugh without having an ounce of clue why.
• Baby care: A young girl giving up her seat for a lady with a baby. Kindness still lingers in our lives. Yay!
• Ladies special: My personal favourite. A woman foot boarding up front and another at the back. The conductor jointly screaming at the two. The women smiling and getting off the bus with a broad smile, teeny horns and a contagious bounce.
• Music lover: A guy with a headset, a hood and staring out the window so lost in his music. I always worry if he ever gets off at the right stop. But I smile because I feel if he didn’t it wouldn’t bother him in the least. As long as he had his player.
There are millions of people who travel by bus everyday. Who take the time to just relax. Who pile their road worries on the driver. Who enjoy the simple beauties of nature and of the world whizzing by. To all of you, I totally hear you.
To APSRTC, thank heavens for you, I reach work on time and chirpy. :)