Saturday, June 18, 2011

Writers Block.

I have tried and tired to write tons and tons of things for ages now. There has been just one response from my brain and hands. *blank* After months of scribbling things in my notebook and never pursuing those thoughts through, I have reached this stage of sheer frustration. Hence today I decided I'll write about not being able to write. Since Its the only thought that haunts me.Yes, haunts. Why? Because ever since I can remember I have wanted to be a writer. A writer who can connect with her readers; one that can describe with ease what is hard for others. A writer that was good, very good. This many months long writers block puts that whole future in jeopardy. I have begun to wonder and worry if who and what I want to be is truly out of my reach.
Hours do not go by without that worry eating away a little bit of my energy and my smile. Then some things happened that changed how I view me and my future. I just started my first job in a strange city (barring my lovely sister and her sweet husband). At work, I learned that all great writers have one thing in common. Very good editors. During my training for this job, a man full of experience enlightened me that the first two years of any career are not about growth, are not about competition. They are simply about learning. In that moment, I had an epiphany. I am 21. I have my whole life ahead of me to accomplish my dream. This does not mean I am going to forget about it or stop writing. This just means I am going to stop worrying. Worrying about why I am not writing or how I am writing. Or harbour any such thoughts. I am simply going to write, write, write and write. The rest will follow.

For after all, every writer to be good has to work hard. So this is me, putting in the hard work and letting life shape the writer in me.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much for a writers block! :P. And love the thought -Focusing on the process and not the results..just yet! :) Way to go!

Priyanka said...

Cheers to that!:)

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Days and nights of frustrated walking around when there are a million gazillion thought in my head, none of them willing to let me put them down on paper! Budding writers' worst nightmare, I tell you :|

This post has me looking inside for my own motivations for writing and I am not liking it.. Maybe I should go back to writing for myself and focusing on the process which I used to enjoy so much, rather than letting it stress me out, like now:o

Sorry about the loooong comment:P I just went on..

RoHiT Iyer said...

hahaha I've faced this one one too many times. I remember the list of small ideas I'd write on my blog and save them as drafts, so I could write 'em later. The later would never come! The draft list would grown uncontrollably long and I'd accept defeat and call it a writer's block.

It's frustrating for someone who likes to write when you can't find something to write on, yet you have a zillion thoughts floating in your head! Funny, isn't it. At least I don't have to face that. My official blog's shut down now and I'm maintaining this secret blog and I apparently haven't faced a block there yet! :D

And you're a blogger from Hyd! Goody good!
Jinga la la hoo

samecookiesdifferent said...

so much writing in this blog, we like it :D
share the feeling
visit <3
www.samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com

nidsitis said...

Thanks :) :*

nidsitis said...

Thanks for reading!! Love your comment. ITs so true. I stress too much :|

Keep coming by :)

nidsitis said...

I gather you are from hyd as well. I moved cities though. sigh. Good to hear your worries are sorted. Hoping to sort mine from now. :)

Thanks for stopping by :)

nidsitis said...

Thank you :) Keep visiting :)

Rameshg said...

I am a passerby, I had a chance view of this blog. What can i say about the experience that you shared other than "you figured it out" :). All the Best discovering more about writing.

Sriramana Muliya said...

Honest..I like that. Very important for a writer. Nice, breezy blog (much like your profile pic) :)

Hang in there - no block remains for long.

Devika Garg said...

Hmmm writer's block...... you know i have two cures - one is finding new love in some way - an interesting person, an interesting new place, or a delicious recipe. The second one (for me), is listening to western classical or perhaps just classical music, no words, just music. Ideas start pouring in so effortlessly! =)
You could try that and see what happens! :)

Sneha said...

Writing about not being able to write is one creative way of showing off your writing. I know of many friends who have posted about this "phenomenon" yet it is interesting and unique for every one suffering from it. This virus that inflicts writer's block in our minds apparently has different manifestations. As usual your style shines through...virus or no virus.

I don't know of one writer who got it perfect the first time. You are so right about trying, shaping the craft and learning. I suppose it never ceases. All the best with the effort.

Give your sister my love.

.....here's hoping you find your inspiration, and the virus duly annihilated.... :-*

srinidhi raghavan said...

Thank you for dropping in and for your kind words :) :)

srinidhi raghavan said...

Thank you!! So much!! :) :)

srinidhi raghavan said...

Will definitely try that. :) :) Thanks for the ideas :) :)

srinidhi raghavan said...

Sneha!! :) Thanks for your lovely comment. You are far too kind. :) :* I haven't been able to get rid of the block yet. Lets hope it vanishes soon. :)

Harini said...

I feel exatcly the same way too. I want to be a writer, I know im good, but once I get a writers block I find it very hard to move on. I realised the only way out is to write random stuff on your blog. and slowly, it goes away and you can get back to writing.
Really nice blog btw. :) Looking forward to reading more from here :)

nidsitis said...

Thank you so much for reading. I found a crack in the block and I am back to writing. :) Thanks for stopping by. :) keep reading. :)