Saturday, July 30, 2011

Test of time

A status message on Facebook got me very (very) angry. I usually don't indulge in stupid facebook fights especially with petty men, that too about cricket. As I feel under confident and less knowledgeable than men who eat, sleep and dream cricket to air my views. But this one was more than I could take. It brought out a fury I didn't think I had and that poor dude was at the receiving end of my wrath. In fairness, he had it coming.
Coming to the point, this dude had passed a rather judgmental comment about Rahul Dravid (yes, the wall himself). At that point, my defensive mode was for reasons unknown. Later I discovered why I love Dravid oh-so-much! Dravid is the very definition of consistency. He is there when team India needs them. He never makes too much of a splash, but always the right amount when needed. He is never surrounded in controversy. He is calm, quiet and a very together individual. Characteristics I have realised I like in a man. But putting all this aside, I like the way he plays a shot. So elegant, so classy and so mature. Never a hurried or rushed shot. Always smooth. (Yes. I sound turned on, cause I probably am) So, when people pass quick judgmental comments about a man who has stood the test of time, I don't like it.
This made me realise that poor boy is not the only one to make such judgments. We all do. We raise them (any cricketer) to a pedestal when they perform well. Yet so quick to criticize them when they make a mistake. So, that dreadful cycle of success and praise, and failure and disgrace continues.
And who else is the centre of this circus? None other than the Media. (Something I am a part of now. Sigh) Now the media has so much competition with know-it-alls on their active social media sites.
What happened to giving the players the benefit of doubt or lapse of their game? Aren't they after all human?
An interesting conversation with my aspiring cricketer friend revealed that the situation is only worse at the beginners stage. They are required to be superhuman and perform (read score a 100) every match. Phew! Talk about unwanted pressure. I guess those aspiring knew what they were getting into.
I pity the innocent, hardworking ones that like Dravid, who perform consistently in every match but haven't yet got their big break. I wish there would be more aspiration to find players like Dravid. Cause the man isn't going to last forever and I don't see anyone who can fit his shoes. For me, once Dravid retires, Indian cricket will not be the same. Despite never being in the limelight, Indian cricket has not seen a better test cricketer. Strong and able, Rahul Dravid has indeed survived the test of time.

9 comments:

Herin Maru said...

Dravid is surely underestimated. He is a man of character.

Parth J said...

RD is indeed a man of class, elegance and endless fortitude. He stands for values and qualities that are getting increasingly difficult to find. A fitting defense for the Wall! :)

nidsitis said...

That is true :)
Thank you for stopping by :)

Herin Maru said...

I believe next time Media guys mention anything about Dravid... they should mention a disclaimer (Any resemblance to real persons, living ...)

nidsitis said...

Ah thanks :) But he deserves much more :) :) Its not so difficult to find. :) If only, we were looking in the right direction :)

Priyanka said...

Ohsoglad someone else realises his worth \m/

Srinidhi said...

@Priyanka: Glad to hear he has more supporters out there!! :D :D

He is the man!! :D

Prathm said...

You know how big a Dravid fan I am! I have always been!

He is definitely a man of character and a no nonsense kind of guy.

Nice rendition in honour of an ACE!

Soumyadeep said...

true....Dravid is the epitome of Indian cricket....people should think twice before commenting....