Thursday, October 18, 2012

"Still I rise.."

For a while now, I have been very angry. So much so that my anger was not making sense to me. I knew I needed to calm down to see things objectively. But I also knew after a long time of being hurt, I had finally found it in me to turn those feelings into anger. Now I do believe that anger is not a bad feeling. It is not an unnecessary feeling. In fact I find it an important and a driving force sometimes. But I also know that anger that lingers can turn into bitterness (and if there is one thing I hope I never am, it is bitter).

So for now, I have let myself be angry. There will come a time when my anger will fade away only leaving traces behind of what I should to take away from this experience. Hopefully I will be driven by that feeling to not treat others badly, to try to be a good person.

Till then, I softly repeat the words of a wonderful fighter and feminist...

"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise...


You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise." - Maya Angelou


But still, like air, I will rise.

7 comments:

Jack said...

Srinidhi,

Nice to see you after a gap of more than months. Anger is not good for anyone, one who is angry and one at whom it is directed as during this phase one loses control on sense of right and wrong. However as human beings we can not but feel this emotion. Hope you can be angry for short while only and then move it out of your mind. If you feel comfortable do share why did you become angry.

Take care

Psych Babbler said...

Missed your posts. I agree that anger is not necessarily bad and can be an instigator for action. But you're right about it eventually resulting in bitterness...so hopefully, this too shall pass.

By the way, you could use that anger to fuel you to blog more ;)

Soumya said...

Ahhh anger, the emotion I can most associate with. But its not good, need to let it go.

Take care love :)

Sinduja said...

Anger... ah, funny, the last post I wrote was on that too. Looks like a lot of us are angry these days. :)

Nice having you back Srinidhi. I need to thank Mr.Anger for spurring you to write again. I think it is great when hurt turns into anger - that way, the damage to the self or ego is less. However, I don't see anger as being any more productive in churning out a thoughtful solution than when hurt.

Anger is definitely not a bad feeling. Anger is definitely not an unnecessary feeling. It makes us aware of what matters to us, what perturbs us - something that needs to change within or with'out'. However, anger can be a dangerous feeling - there have been so many things that I have said or done when angry that have cost me a lot. Anger should never be mistaken for intuition. Things we do on a whim are seldom sensible.

We need to have control mechanisms... cue to make us cool down fast - to prevent negative energy from seeping into our system, if not for anything else.

Arpita said...

This too shall pass :)
(and become a useful 'incident' to be used in some future writing!)

Srinidhi said...

Jack: The reason for my anger is still raw and I would like to be able to tend to it, to make it logical. :) Thank you for dropping in.

PB: AW!! Aren't you sweet! But I really must write more. Lazy :/

Soumya: I know. I need to let it go! It is just so hard sometimes :) :*

Sinduja: Haha! Anger young future of tomorrow! :p But jokes aside, we all have reason to be angry. But the anger needs to be focussed on solving issues rather than just being angry. :)
And I agree! We need to control it and direct it well. :)

AJ: Yes. This too shall pass :*

Aparna said...

I understand what you went through or still going through completely :) it is always legitimate to feel anger or any other feeling which comes by and not avoid them. Bitterness comes when one does not process the scenario including how we were leading up to the moment. I dont want to sound like all wise and what not, but it is helping me to get out of it ( a similar situation in life). Hope you bounce back to your bubbly self and hope to meet you sometime and give a super tight hug :)
p.s: I have been visiting your blog from time to time ...