Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sisters and sisterhood

For most of my teenage life, I lived in a cocoon. I knew I was lucky for I had found friends, soul mates in my sisters. Ever since then, I have had the fortune of being surrounded by amazing women who I affectionately referred to as my soul sisters. Some more like me than others but each of them brought to my life a myriad of hopes, dreams and ideas with which we attempted to shape the world around us. We struggled some days and some days we succeeded. All along we decorated our lives with as many colours as possible. With this support from my growing sisterhood, I never felt the need to give up.

I remember the time I began identifying with the word feminist. I remember the powerful things it gave me access to. The biggest part of it was a sisterhood of known, unknown women and men. Women who were vibrant, passionate and wonderful. Women who were entertaining, kind and supportive. Women who gave me strength to continue fighting my battles. Women who inspired me to continue writing. Women who shared my ideals, my ethics. Women who understood and acknowledged the mundane everyday violence and resisted it in the ways they could. Women who went from being victims to survivors. Women who stood for equality and everything else I believed in. Women writers who articulated their struggles. Women writers who years ago spoke of discrimination I know today.

Many of these women are faceless for I have only heard of them from others. But many others are faces I will never forget. The others remain a constant in my life today. Who make even the drudgery of life worthwhile.

To all of you, I thank you. For showing me the warmth of a sisterhood. I thank you, for being my soul sisters.



Link to the soul sisters contest on Women's Web: http://www.womensweb.in/articles/soul-sisters-friendship-day-contest/

5 comments:

Soumya said...

After how long are you back here woman? Crazy, I missed you loads.

Is there somewhere else you write? Send me the link.

P.S: You are a part of my sisterhood :)

Spaceman Spiff said...

We have a Pondi trip pending, sistah. :) Come off fast.

Towards Harmony said...

wow babe.. I haven't seen this blog in awhile :)

Sisterhood LOng LIVE!!

How did I miss this contest!!

Red Handed said...

Such a cute little post !!! :) :)

App Development Gurgaon said...

This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!